background

Thursday, September 17, 2009

the hotdog dilemma

There are just a few things that I am personally against for my child. I see nothing wrong with someone doing them, I am just not going to.

I don't like him to have juice that often, and when we have it at home or grandparents, it is almost always V8 Fusion, not the diet one, that has artificial sugar and half the fruits and veggies. The fusion is all sugar from the fruits and veggies they use to make it.

He was not allowed to have any sugar candy till the last couple of months, which includes chocolate. I did pretty good not letting him have it till now, especially since I eat so much chocolate...especially these days!

My number one no-no was hotdogs. I have just read a few articles on them and children under 6 years of age. Once in awhile is okay but not weekly or daily. But I just refused to do it, till he got over atleast 2. It has taken me this long to even think about it.

Well, we have some all meat hot dogs right now and the other day for lunch Matt was going to have some. I am not eating them right now either. So I said heat one up for Ryan and lets see what he does. Matt has been wanting to give him some cut up, with a toothpick in each one, because that would be fun and cool! His jaw dropped and he stopped in his tracks when I said heat one up.

I knew he wasn't going to eat it, but I was okay wasting a hotdog verse some of the other food we have to waste.

So Matt cut it up, put them on toothpicks, set the plate in front of him, bite one, bite two, and before I could pick my jaw up off the ground, they were gone...A WHOLE HOTDOG!!! I was so upset. With me for suggesting and allowing it, with Ryan for liking it, with Matt for making it look cool, I just didn't think he was going to eat it, especially not a whole hotdog.

My heart hurt, I actually felt like I just gave my baby some poison, and he took it with no hesitation.

So my baby at the age of 2 years and 4 months ate his first hotdog :(

2 comments:

Life With Twins said...

I am so glad to have read this. I thought I was the only one who did those things. My twins have probably had one piece of candy in their lives. I have issues giving them hot dogs too but luckily mine won't eat them. I used to cry when I would feed them chicken nuggets because they were unhealthy but as they get older I quite worrying about it as much. My main goal now is to get them to eat something!

brataz99 said...

kids love hotdogs for some wierd reason. Me myself not a fan!