background

Monday, June 16, 2008

The long awaited haircut

before...
Well, Ryan's hair finally met Frank's sizzors... oh boy!

Frank is a barber in Collinsville, a family barber, in fact the same Frank cut Matt's first haircut, so that can tell ya the age! I finally found Frank, he was no where on line, had no phone # in the phone book. We tried and tried (not to mention fought) on finding Frank. See Frank means alot to Matt. Matt is a very easy going guy, he usually doesn't have much to say on things, but with this he did... he HAD to have Frank cut Ryan's hair, he wanted to have a tradition (did I mention Frank's LONG time business). Well, he thought it was really cool to have Frank cut Ry's hair and have his hair cut too. I thought all this was so cute, I had to honor his wishes.

Well we waited and waited, finally I found Frank, a big white sign that said 'Franks Barber Shop'.
I went into the shop on a Tuesday, he says " bring em' on in" well I couldn't do that since Matt wasn't with me. (he had to be there for this tradition we have going on) So he says he is open on Saturday's, so that Saturday it is! Oh yeah, he remembered who Matt was by me saying he cut my husbands 1st haircut, he knew exactly who Matt was, by looking at ME...well as you may know me and Matt look nothing alike. So all this bothered me a little. Well, that Saturday was Memorial Day and he was closed, good ole' Frank didn't fill me in on that! So poor Ry had to look like a shaggy dog for a couple more weeks.

So on June 14 it happened, Ryan was introduced to Frank...then snip snip snip. NO QUESTIONS on how I wanted it to look. People have asked if I cried, NO I DIDN'T CRY I was so mortified by what he had just done to my baby I was trembling. Matt and I kept trading uneasy glances. Ryan looked like Jim Carrey in Dumb and Dumber. We had 2 birthday parties to go that day...oh I was so upset.


I did hint around alot that I wanted his first snippings, well didn't get that. He did say he will put some aside for me on a piece of paper. Well he just kept snipping, and brushing all his hair away on the floor with all the other old men's hair he has previously cut for the day. I wasn't taking home all their hair mixed with my poor little baby's hair. So I grabbed a wad of it on the seat and stuck it on the counter till we left. So no nice clipping, just a wad!!!

Well as it turns out Frank did do a little more shaping with it(definitly seeing Annie for his next cut)! Frank just might not know style. It doesn't look as bad as it did, and maybe in a week or two it will have time to grow a bit (keep your fingers crossed). I want his little curls back that he had in the back :( Frank did okay, and I am happy Matt got to keep up his TRADITION!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is too adorable. It was really good to see you guys at KBK this week.
Congrats on your blog sight. I do have to say this is my first time responding to anything like this. Very interesting! Honestly I don't even know if I'll do it right.

Princess Tami said...

Amanda - your son is beautiful! The haircut is over....no more pressure of Frank!

Love you!

We are praying for your family

Corie said...

Oh wow Amanda!!
I know how you struggled with who would give Ryan his first cut.
Ryan is still so cute, no matter what his hair cut looks like. Oh, by the way, I love the Dumb and Dumber reference! :)

Anonymous said...

adorable!!!