background

Friday, June 13, 2008

YOUR BABY CAN READ!

There is this baby program out there called “Your baby can read”. I bought the set when I became an Usborne Book consultant. It looked kinda cool, and hey I want my baby to read! So I stuck in the 1st out of 5 DVD. I think it was made in the late 80's early 90's. We watched 2 or 3 times then I realized this was really stupid, worse then some of the baby einstiens ( which I do love by the way). Then I was telling a friend about them, I was reading the box set to her, and here is what it said:

Disc 1- your baby will learn 22 words, have him watch it 2 times a day for a month.
Disc 2- 30 new words for 2 months.
Disc 3- 50 new words for 2 month while reviewing disc 2
Disc 4- 50 new words for 1 month while reviewing disc 2 and 3
Disc 5- your baby will be able to know 160 key words with 100's more keep reviewing all discs and your baby will love this.

All this starts at 3 months! WOW, what a regimen for a baby. Well 'Aleka' the docs daughter is at the beginning of each disc showing she is able to demonstrate all this by age 9 months. (CRAZY) Well here is Aleka's updates, she knew 100 words at 1 year, could read at 1st grade level at 18 months, 10-20 books a day at age 2, at age 4 was reading at grade 11, in high school read over 250 novels.

So with all that we decided we did not want a freak child. Yes, I do think reading is VERY important, I would love to have him reading early, but this is just too much. Me and Matt are not that disciplined so there is no way we could make our child do all that. Well in the meantime me giving up so fast I saw a really long infomercial on this box set. And I sat there watched it, well it was still crazy but I was being brought in by all their savvy talk about it. That is when I decided to give it a try.

On June 2nd I started MY baby can read mission. We only watch it once a day, not twice, I feel that is too much. Well...it is AMAZING!!! By the 3rd time of him watching he recognized the word HI and would say it with out the video saying it first. When 'arms up' would come on he would raise his arms, when 'mouth' would come up he would point to him mouth...and so on. I just sat there next to him on the cough with MY mouth wide open, and I was like there is no way this is happening, I felt like I was in a sci-fi movie. Every time we watch it he does more and more. We have flash cards with the words on them and he is starting to recognize those words and doing the actions with out me saying them. So now I feel like I am ready to be one of those moms on the infomercial. So, to say the least I am very impressed!

Keep up the good work Ry!

4 comments:

Corie said...

Interesting... let me know how it goes...
I just saw the informercial for this today, but didn't watch it.

bigmackdaddy said...

Your blog is no less than BLOG-tastic!!!!I guess those "So Your Wife Can Blog" videos really helped out,huh? Well either way keep up the good work sughs!xoxox

Anonymous said...

Amanda,

Hey your blog is quite interesting. You should also check out an author named Mem Fox. She is great and also teaches babies to read at a young age. She has a book out titled, Reading Magic, I think you would find it quite interesting. Check out her website, www.memfox.com and hopefully you will find her as interesting as I do.

~Christine Elkins~

P.S. She also writes children's books.

Anonymous said...

Yep it works. We used it too, our toddler is actually reading. Look on YouTube. Ssearch "Baby reading"