background

Monday, September 29, 2008

Barney, Elmo, Mickey Mouse, oh my

When did it all start? My child within the last 2-3 weeks has been obsessed with Barney. Before that it was Elmo and Cookie Monster, and now it is becoming Mickey Mouse. It just happened. We don't have an over abundance of these characters in our house. Well it all started so cute and innocent, well know he is that child that even the color of Barney on something will stop him in his tracks. Yesterday we went to Wal-Mart and he found every Barney, Elmo and Mickey Mouse on every shelf that was in the store. When we would pass a bright colorful shelf you could see his eyes scanning it for someone he knew. I swear this happened over night...is this how it all starts?!?

3 comments:

Corie said...

I have no idea how quickly the obsessions start with kids.

You are my experienced mom who gets to inform me of all these phases!!! :)

kathycarr said...

Yes. Without warning. Instantly. Like crack cocaine they are hooked. They must have Barney. And Elmo. And more. They are scientifically designed to get your child hooked. And you will inadvertently fuel the obsession. And grandparents. And friends join in. More Barney. More Elmo. Isn't it cute how Ryan loves Barney? He can say Elmo let's buy him more. More. And then one day your child looks at you and says "Mom, Elmo is for babies." And you will be crushed. This is so fun!

Life With Twins said...

Oh you are lucky my two have been obsessed with Mickey Mouse forever! It started younger than I thought was even possible. For some reason when that stupid toodles thing comes on Paige laughs out loud and jumps around. We let them watch Mickey Mouse for a little bit while they drink their milk before bed and this has been part of our routine for I don't know how long. At first it really bothered me that they enjoyed the show so much and were as you say "hooked" at such a young age but as they get older I realize that Mickey Mouse is the only way Mommy can go pee every once in a while. Hail to Mickey Mouse! BTW I would avoid Tivo-ing the round up episode and anything where Claribell Cow sings!!! Mickey's cowboy accent in the round up episode will make you want to hurt someone. I have lucked out on the Barney thing we aren't really interested yet.