background

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Parenting 911 - Part 1


Kid CEO


This is the first part of our new series at church - Parenting 911. I am very excited about this series, for obvious reasons. I am going to share our service with you and my feelings on it for the next few weeks.


Part 1 is Kid CEO...who runs your household. Well at first I thought they meant the older kids, the teenagers. Mostly I think they were, but the more I thought about it, Ryan is starting to run ours. Not in a bad way, things are just different now, our life is more geared towards him. So now is the time to slow that pace down before he becomes the CEO.


God's design for our family:


1. Make God the highest priority in the home.


Jesus - "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment." Matthew 22:37,38


The family tree in your household is to be God, husband/wife, then kids. How many of us truly live their life like that. And I mean truly. Even the ones who don't have God in their lives, do you live husband/wife then your kids. I will admit we do not. I would love to! Unfortunately I don't think society lets us, we are so fast paced with life and its surroundings. I can't even read my Bible on a daily basis little loan put these three things in proper order. I believe life would be so much easier if we did. I need to step back and smell the roses, so to say, I need to get my priorities in order...and not just for that day because it is convenient, but forever...which I think will take forever.


2. Make husband/wife relationship the next highest priority in the home.


" For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the to will become one flesh. This is a profound mystery-but I am talking about Christ and the church. However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself. and the wife must respect her husband. " Ephesians 5:31-33


And after this piece was read Matt nudges me in the arm...lol. I truly believe Matt and I are one. We always have been. So we don't battle with this as much, we do have great respect overall for each other. Now I am not saying we do not have problems because WE DO!!! We probably have at least one argument a day, or at least every other day. But over stupid piddly stuff...like, Matt you walked through the house again with your shoes this morning and I had to vacuum first thing when I got up...this is my way of letting him know...it might save an argument for us! But overall, we have an untouchable bond. We are so blessed God had lead us to each other at such an early age. He is the beat of my heart.


3. Make sure our kids function under our authority as parents.


Honor thy father and mother.


I think this is a very good lesson to get when your children our very young. But it needs to be established ASAP. That way when they are older it is already set. That should work right? Teach now, learn now, know forever. I have found the answer to the teenage era. He will know authority know, and will obey forever...YEAH RIGHT. If it was all that easy I would be rich! I do think the more we teach now the more they will know later and make it a tad bit easier. All we can do is try and pray!


We need to set the agenda. Allow God to take over and follow his word.


We need to communicate our family agenda.


We need to connect with our mate daily and date regularly. (Matt and I are willing to trade sitter service with anyone, or we will watch your little ones. I think time alone is very important. Even if you go home and just sit on your couch and have a moment to think. Please do not hesitate to ask us, we really want to do this...well I use we loosely, I have not discussed this entire plan with Matt yet (sorry babe, you don't mind right.))


Make sure nothing competes with God.


"As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15


Now we all need to make that list of our priorities...what are they now and what we need to change.



...I think this was a very good service and I will keep you all updates next week... "Parenting is series business.



1 comment:

Corie said...

Keith and I have to get the cd from last weekend and for this weekend's service.

I've been looking forward to this series and we were out of town last weekend and are going to be out of town this weekend too.

Glad to hear that the series has already touched you.

And, we will gladly trade services with you!! Especially once we move back to IL...

Great post Amanda!!!