background

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Morrow Family Daily Routine


As some of you have read, I am really struggling with Ry and his nap/bed time. It has been going on for almost two weeks now. He kicks and screams when it is time to go to sleep. I have tried some suggestions people have given me and things just aren't working out for us. So last week I made this poster and hung it up on his door. Partly for him (notice the stickers), but mainly for me. I need a reminder to follow some sort of routine, and for who ever is here with him when I am not. Hopefully I will remain to put in as much effort on this as I did to make this sign.
I think it has helped, now we don't do every night time, one, because there are some nights when we get home and he has fallen asleep in the car and he has already had his bath. I know it falls out of daily routine, but we have always had mixed up weeks when it comes to bed time. Due to bowling, bible study, or my work/Matt's school schedule throughout the week. Some times we don't get home till late ( I would say between 8-9) and most of this has been done at the grandparents house. Now he is woken up when we get home for a diaper change and he is awake good enough for him to know he is home, so he doesn't wake in the middle of the night scared.
So every morning this is done and I would say 4-5 nights a week it is done. We just can't do it every night. I just won't give up my entire life, we have never lived fully structured lives with our work/school schedules so I can't do it now. I think if things would ever have to change dramatically it would be so much more difficult to change his routine. But having this chart has really helped me be more structured when we are home, because we all know that is what I need.
Now, when I lay him down, I am still doing the tossing motion with no eye contact, but once I shut the door he immediately quits crying and sleeps like he always has. We still can't wake him in the middle of the night because we will go through it all again. He does take his Mickey doll to bed with him now, and we tell Mickey good night (this was a great idea...thanks), and we show him that it is night time through the whole house so he is not missing anything (he is just like his mommy, can't miss anything). Other than all that, I just don't know what to do. He is tired when we lay him down, he is rubbing his eyes and gets whinny like he always has, I just don't know what has changed!?!

No comments: