background

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

not so sweet baby any more!

Everything was to good to be true. All good things must come to a halt right...no not right, I don't want it to be true!

I don't like to brag, but I guess since its not true anymore I can indulge in my memories. Since Ryan was just a few months old, we were able to walk into his room, bed time or nap time and give him a kiss and put him in his bed and he would roll right over and we would not hear from him for another 10-12 hours. It was even so perfect that when Matt and I are both able to put him in bed we would play who would get the last kiss. And poor Ry would get so annoyed with this to where he would start to huff and puff at as. But it never failed he would go to bed with absolutely no problems at any time we wanted to. I am even guilty at wearing him out so hard during the day so I could get him in bed by the time The Office comes on, on Thursdays which is 7:30. ( I know shame on me!) Then not only that, but he would take a 2-3 hour nap everyday right on schedule, and I could usually always count on 3 hours.

Well, not any more! This past week he has been a monster. I don't know what has happened. At times I would wake him before I went to bed and change his diaper since he pees so much, and I can't do that any more either. When I would say 'you want to go to bed' he would shake his head yes and run to his room, now he shakes it no, and screams and runs away from me. Then when I finally catch him, I have to hold on tight because he will leap over my shoulder to where the first couple of times, I would just catch his feet before he fell. And I have to pry him off of me to get him in his crib. And then I throw him in it and dart out. No eye contact what so ever. Which also means no more kisses, hugs and night time prayers :( He runs when it is story time, because he knows bed time is right around the corner. He still pretty much goes straight to sleep and sleeps the same amount of time, and wakes up all energy and giggles. But its just not the perfect mommy, baby time any more, my memories were right out of a parenting magazine and I didn't even know it, and now that its gone, I am so so sad.

Its the same thing with bath time. Tonight I actually gave him a bath standing up while he was crying the whole time.

What happened to my sweet sweet baby...will he ever return?!?

2 comments:

Corie said...

I'm sorry to hear that things are changing for you guys.
I don't have any answers.. I don't think anyone has THE answer. Every child is going to be different. I have read two books on the sleep thing...
Babywise and Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. The both stress the importance of routine... even if it is inconvenient for the parents. I'm struggling with that right now... the inconvenience of being home for naps from 9-11, 1-3 and bath/bedtime around 6:30. It doesn't leave much time for me to do things, but I know that in the long run it will help establish healthy sleep habits for Chloe.

I would say it is a very good thing that Ryan still goes to sleep on his own and stays asleep.

We had to give Chloe a bath while she was crying the other night. It was the hardest thing in the world because bath time should be so relaxing and enjoyable. I think it was because we were putting her to bed too late. We waited to start bath when she was already tired. Make sense?

I don't know if your nights will get easier, but hang in there!
You'll get your nighttime kisses again, I'm sure of it!

Erica said...

Thanks for visiting our blog! It is always fun to hear of "new" people reading! =)
Good luck with the bedtime...it might be a phase. (Let's hope!). Julia did a similiar thing last month, and we are about through it. For us, we started putting her dolly to bed with her and saying "night, night, dolly." and giving the doll a kiss and putting her in the crib. And then we say "night, night Julia." and put her in...some reason she is falling for the fact that she thinks she's "helping" put dolly to sleep. And it has all been pretty smooth since this discovery.
Ditto on the Babywise and Healthy Sleep Habits books...two of my favorites!!!
You guys are great parents, and this, too, shall pass!! =)