background

Friday, January 2, 2009

I am allergic to everything!

And when I say everything, I mean everything. I am now officially allergic to cold. That's right cold. Cold air, cold objects, cold water, just cold anything.

It all started a little over a year ago. October 2007 I had to have this minor surgery done on my finger. I had some weird growth on it. The dermatologist told me the day he looked at it, it may be some kind of skin cancer. So I immediately freak out. He sent me to a face and hand plastic surgeon in Maryville, were he set up an operation date. So it officially became surgery when I had to lay on an operation table. (it was honestly more prep and freak out than my c-section, and I walked out with 5 stitches and a band aid) Anyway, when they were done my whole arm broke out in hives. They gave me some benadryl and told me they should go away and I should be fine.

Ever since then, any time I hold or touch something cold, or even go outside in really cold weather, I would bet hives and some times full blown welts, that just burn and itch like crazy. And not just on my arm, but any where on my body. So it was winter after this surgery incident and I was getting them like crazy. But being a new mom, and trying to balance a household with out ending up in a nut house, I did nothing about it. I said I was going to call the doc and just never did. Then the summer came, and it calmed down. It only happened when I would wash my hand with cold water or hold something cold. Well, it has been getting really cold again. So I made an appointment with the doc, cancelled it because, well you know the whole mom thing ( I haven't even been back to the OB since my check up after Ry was born...how bad is that)

So me being the motor mouth that I am, I have told just about everyone I know. Which has really paid off, because Jen, a girl I work with brought me in an article she found in the paper. I think the article was written about me. It lists my signs and symptoms just like I have them. This is called "cold-induced urticaria". It is having an allergic reaction to cold. They say it may only last a couple years, but some have it so bad they can have an anaphylactic reaction.

But I am not worried, I am just happy its not any type of reaction to the meds they gave me. So I am not going to do anything about it, just like I don't about any of my other allergies. So cold, is just another thing to add to the list.

No comments: